Other Family Law Services

Kelsy with ClientsPaternity

Unwed fathers need to be aware that just because they sign the birth certificate does not mean that they are entitled to visitation until there is an order by a court. There are a few ways in which a father can be legally recognized as the child’s father. A father can sign a voluntary acknowledgement of paternity at the hospital, he can request a DNA test from the court, or he and the mother can both swear under oath in court that he is the father. Our office can assist fathers in establishing both paternity and visitation with the child or children in the event the mother does not want to be cooperative.

Father’s Rights

We can help fathers maximize their parenting time with their children, regardless of whether the parenting plan was entered into several years ago, or whether there has never been a parenting plan established. The laws in Tennessee have recently changed to state that, depending on certain factors, a court shall adopt a parenting plan adopting the maximum participation possible for both parents. The law is evolving to encourage participation from both mothers and fathers, regardless of the gender of the children. Again, this is based on several factors that we can discuss during a free consultation to determine the strengths of your case.

KAM_Family_Law_Office_FolderGrandparent Visitation

“Grandparents don’t have rights in Tennessee.” This is often what grandparents hear when they’re trying to see their grandchildren. The truth is, grandparents can obtain court ordered visitation in certain situations, and sometimes even custody. Some of these situations include when a grandchild has lived with you for a period of twelve months, there’s a significant relationship for at least twelve months, or the parents have dropped off the child and you’ve been caring for that child for a period of time. Each case is different. Our office can help you determine if you qualify for grandparent visitation or even temporary legal custody of your grandchild.


There are technically two stages to an adoption. An adoption can occur only after the biological parents’ rights have been legally terminated. This can happen through a voluntary surrender or through a contested termination trial in which the Petitioner would have to show that there are grounds to terminate the parents’ parental rights, and that the termination would be in the child or children’s best interests. Once this step is completed, the child would be available for adoption. Our office handles both aspects of the adoption process.